From the ATL DOT:
The City of Atlanta's Department of Transportation is pleased to inform you that the construction package including removal of the traffic signals at the intersection of Avon Avenue with Orlando Street and Westmont Road is out for bids. The deadline is for bid submission is currently set for Tuesday, May 4, 2021.
Be advised that planned intersection upgrades will include the replacement of electronic traffic signals with stop signs. Specifically:
- Removal traffic signal at Avon Ave @ Westmont Rd/Orlando St and conversion to an all-way stop intersection
- Refreshed yellow center line pavement markings beginning 50 feet back from the stop bar on Orlando St and Westmont Rd
- Installation of stop signs with "All Way" plaques on the right side at all approaches
- Installation of stop bar on north approach to Westmont Rd.
- Installation of ADA-compliant ramps at existing Orlando St crosswalk
- Substituting grass for existing landscape areas at the corners of Orlando St/Westmont Rd and Avon Ave/Westmont Rd to improve intersection sight distance
Because upgrades to the intersection of Avon Avenue with Orlando Street and Westmont Road are part of a large package of signal improvement projects, it is difficult to provide a start window for work on these two intersections. We will continue to keep you updated as the project progresses from procurement to construction in our monthly District and NPU dashboard reports.