Although the NPU is affiliated with the City of Atlanta, we are entirely volunteer run. That means everything that happens in the NPU - the emails to our City representatives, the meetings with applicants and constituents, the reports and recommendations and even the posts to our blog like this one - are being done by people who are taking time out of their own lives, for free, to help the community.
So as you can imagine, there's usually more work than people! We have openings available everywhere in the NPU, at all committees. A quick recap of our standing committees:
Land Use Committee
The Land Use committee makes recommendations to the NPU about zoning, development, code, and land use. It meets every 1st Wednesday of the month at 6:15 pm
Karen Babino, Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This committee specifically could use help with the Transportation subcommittee, which is juggling the Campbellton BRT/LRT project and the Cascade Complete Streets, among other things.
- They also need folks to help out with working with our Code Enforcement officers.
Quality of Life Committee
This committee makes recommendations to the NPU about public safety, parks, recreation, culture, and the environment. It meets every 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30pm.
- Quality of Life does a lot. Right now, we're missing a Public Safety subcommittee chair, an important position.
Robbie Hunter, Chair: email@example.com
Assistant Services Committee
This committee makes recommendations to the NPU about senior citizens, youth, and education. It meets every fourth Wednesday at 6:00 pm.
- Assistant Services needs a Youth representative - this would be a great position for an engaged student resident of the NPU.
- Assistant Services also administers the NPU Senior Lawncare Service, which has a number of moving parts - help there would be greatly appreciated!
Rogelio Arcila, Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
This committee makes recommendations to the NPU about the bylaws, and our policies and positions on matters both internal and external to the NPU, and our relationship to our neighbors and the City of Atlanta. It meets every 1st Thursday at 6:00 pm.
- The Policy committee could really use a detail-oriented person to go over our bylaws with a fine-toothed comb to help strengthen our organization.
Kyle Lamont, Chair: email@example.com
If any of these open positions sound interesting to you - or if there's some other way you'd like to help, or if you're just curious - don't hesitate to contact the committee chairs or contact Nick Hess, firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 890 0089, for more information.